Translate your BigCommerce website
Make your BigCommerce store multilingual with the Weglot translation app
As you probably know, BigCommerce doesn’t have a native multilingual feature. There are several tricks, like using Google Translate script to translate your BigCommerce store but none are really providing a simple & efficient answer to the question : How to make a multilingual store on BigCommerce ?
This is why we developed at Weglot a simple way to make a clean multilingual store on BigCommerce, using languages subdomains!
- A clean and simple setup: Up and running in a few minutes.
- A proper multilingual solution for BigCommerce: Built for BigCommerce, it uses subdomains to have a clean and official installation.
- A simple way to manage translation: Get a first layer of automatic translations, then simply verify the translations.
- SEO optimized pages: Your BigCommerce website will be indexed on Google in all languages.
- Customizable language button
- Our support team is always here to help you at email@example.com. We are experts multilingual websites, Multilingual SEO and we know BigCommerce!
Let’s translate your BigCommerce website (~ 10 minutes)
Ready to try? This guide explains how to make your store multilingual.
1. Create an account on Weglot (~ 1 minute)
Your Weglot account will be the place where all your translations will be stored and where you will manage them. Simply create a Weglot account here:
2. Enter your domain URL, original and translated languages (~ 1 minute)
Once your Weglot account is created and confirmed, you will see the below screen appear. Simply enter your domain URL, your website original language and the translated languages you want to translate your website into.
You can change your translated languages later if you want.
Important: DO NOT enter your BigCommerce temporary domain (ending with .mybigcommerce.com)
3. Configure the subdomains in the DNS records (~ 5 minutes)
Enter the DNS records that are shown to you in your DNS Record Zone. Depending where you bought the domain, it can be at several places
- If you bought the domain in BigCommerce: It’s in Server Settings > Email & DNS Records
- If you bought your domain on an external provider like GoDaddy, 1&1, Gandhi,… : In this case, it’s directly in this external provider account
If you need any help for this, you can send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the BigCommerce admin access and we will do it for you!
Once you have entered the DNS, wait a few minutes and it should appear green like this:
4. Install the Weglot library (~ 3 minutes)
In your BigCommerce admin, go in Storefront > Script Manager and click “Create Script”.
Enter the name and the description as you want. And fill up as following:
- “Location on Page” : Head
- “Select pages where script will be added” : All pages
- “Script type” : Script
- Script Content : Here, you paste the code from your Weglot account
Finally, click “Save”.
5. You are done!
You just need to wait a few minutes for BigCommerce to display your language button and your multilingual website is now live! Use the language button to change the language on your website. You can now edit your translations on your Weglot account.