Translate your Squarespace website
Follow this simple guide to make your Squarespace website multilingual in minutes with Weglot
Making a Squarespace website multilingual has always been very tricky in the past. Because there was no official solution, we had to use some workaround to make it multilingual, like recreating all post in a translated language. It was very time consuming and not very performant.
At Weglot, we wanted to change this so we designed a simple yet powerful solution that brings multilingual feature for Squarespace.
- A clean and simple setup: Up and running in a few minutes.
- A proper multilingual solution for Squarespace: this technique is the same that squarespace.com itself is using 🙂 You can’t go more official than this.
- A simple way to manage translation: Get a first layer of automatic translations, then simply verify the translations.
- SEO optimized pages: Your Squarespace website will be indexed on Google in all languages.
- Customizable language button
- Our support team is always here to help you at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are experts multilingual websites, Multilingual SEO and we know Squarespace!
Want to see an example?
Before digging in, you can check an demo website we’ve setup: https://weglot-sqspace.com
This Squarespace website example is translated in French and Spanish with Weglot. Click on French or Spanish in the header to see the translated versions and the dedicated URLs per language.
- English version (original website): weglot-sqspace.com
- French version: fr.weglot-sqspace.com
- Spanish version: es.weglot-sqspace.com
Let’s start translating your Squarespace website (~ 10 minutes)
Ready to try Weglot out? This guide will help you set up your Squarespace website in a few minutes.
1. Create an account on Weglot (~ 1 minute)
Your Weglot account will be the place where all your translations will be stored and where you will manage them. Simply create a Weglot account here:
2. Enter your domain URL, original and translated languages (~ 1 minute)
Once your Weglot account is created and confirmed, you will see the below screen appear. Simply enter your domain URL, your website original language and the translated languages you want to translate your website into.
You can change your translated languages later if you want.
Important: DO NOT enter your Squarespace temporary domain (ending with .squarespace.com)
Click “Next” to go to the next step.
3. Configure the subdomains in the DNS records (~ 5 minutes)
In this step, you will connect Weglot to your website using your DNS records. You should see this screen appear:
First, go to your Squarespace admin area, in Settings > Domains. You now have 2 possibilities:
a) Your domain name is managed by Squarespace
If your domain name is managed by Squarespace, it will appear under “Managed by Squarespace”. In that case, click on it, and then click on “Advanced settings”.
Then you can enter the DNS that are prompt, like on the screenshot below. At the end, click “Save” at the top.
b) Your domain name is managed outside Squarespace
If your domain name is managed via a third party provider (like GoDaddy, 1&1 or Google Domains, …), access the DNS settings on your Domain Name provider and add your entries there. If you are not sure where it is, we can have a look for you. Just email us at email@example.com.
When your entries are done, click “Check DNS”. You should see a green check mark indicating that the DNS is successfully configured. Click “Next”.
4. Install the Weglot library (~ 3 minutes)
Disclaimer: You can only customize your code on a Squarespace Business plan or higher.
It’s really simple: You just need to copy the code that is shown to you on that last screen. Then go the your SquareSpace admin and paste it into Settings > Advanced > Code Injection > “Header” section. If you have already something in this field, it’s ok, just paste it under it.
5. You are done!
You just need to wait a few minutes for Squarespace to display your language button and your multilingual website is now live! Use the language button to change the language on your website. You can now edit your translations on your Weglot account.
6. Optional – Put the language button in the menu (~ 5 minutes)
The default language button appears at the bottom right of your website. If you want to put it in your menu instead, you can use links.
Go in your Squarespace admin, go to the Main Navigation section and add a link in your menu. The URL should be #Weglot-fr for French, #Weglot-es for Spanish, etc… Replace the “fr” or “es” with the 2 letters code of your language. All country codes can be found here.
Translate your Squarespace website now
Follow our easy installation guide and get your multilingual Squarespace website up and running.