Attracting a global audience is a dream for many businesses and organizations. Whether you’re trying to expand your reach or increase your customer base, it’s important to understand what makes your content speak to a diverse and multicultural audience.
But, breaking into new markets isn’t always easy. There are specific cultural differences that you’ll need to understand and adapt your content to. International markets aren’t one size fits all.
In this article, we explore 4 powerful strategies for making your content appealing to international audiences and taking your brand to the next level. From multilingual content to incorporating multimedia elements, we’ll take a look at the key elements that will give you a winning global marketing strategy. !
So, let’s dive in.
Translating content into multiple languages
This is an obvious one, but it’s often overlooked. If you want your content to reach a wider audience, it needs to be accessible in their native language. According to a study by Common Sense Advisory, 72.1% of internet users prefer to access websites in their own language. This proves that translating your content into multiple languages immensely benefits your business.
Picture it this way: If your target audience is not familiar with the language you used in the content, they’ll struggle to understand it, leading to confusion or a lack of engagement. This can result in a loss of potential customers and a decrease in the overall impact of your content.
For instance, imagine a company wants to reach customers in Spain, but its website is only available in English. Not only will your pages not appear in search engines within your target country, but Spanish website visitors won’t understand the products and services you’re selling even if they do land on your site.
In short, translating content into multiple languages is essential for effectively targeting international audiences and ensuring your content is well-received.
This can be achieved through the use of translation and localization services. Translating your website is a great place to start as this is one of the first touchpoints your potential new customers will likely come across, particularly if you’re an ecommerce site.
Adapting content to local culture and context
Another way to ensure your content appeals to international audiences is by adapting the content for the local culture, language, and context of your new audience.
Localization involves including cultural references and appropriate slang in the translated content so that readers from the target region can relate to it better.
Here are some key points to consider when adapting your content to different cultures and contexts:
- Research the local customs and culture of the new country you’re writing for: Familiarize yourself with the ways people in a different country communicate and interact with each other, their beliefs, values, norms, and holidays. This will help you gain a better understanding of the distinct nuances of the local culture and context that could affect how your content is perceived.
- Use localized language: Write content using language that resonates with readers from different countries. This could be in terms of using local slang, grammar, spelling, idioms, metaphors, or other word choices. Doing so will make your content more authentic and understood by international readers. That’s why using a professional content writer that understands your new market will allow you to better angle your content.
- Carry out market research: Understanding the preferences, interests, and pain points of your target audience is key to creating content that connects with them. Carrying out market research can provide invaluable information on how best to localize your content to make it relevant and appealing to international readers.
- Pay attention to the smaller details: Small details such as the layout, colors, and font selection can have a great influence in determining how powerful an impact your content has. So, ensure that these elements are in line with the local cultural conventions and context. If you’re translating your content into a right-to-left language like Arabic, there are more specific design considerations to take into account.
Using visuals and multimedia to enhance content
Using multimedia elements in your content such as videos, images, and audio play an important role in engaging international audiences.
These elements allow them to connect on an emotional level rather than just relying on the written text, which may not elicit the same meaning due to cultural differences and language barriers across countries.
A great example of this concept in practice is the Nike ‘Never Too Far Down’ campaign which featured top athletes, such as LeBron James and Cristiano Ronaldo, as well as visually stunning graphics and music, to create a powerful and memorable message.
In addition to multimedia assets being visually attractive, they can also enable companies like Nike to reach wider demographics in different markets whose primary language isn’t English speakers or who prefer visuals over textual information when consuming digital media – making their campaigns more effective at communicating messages globally as in comparison to traditional marketing tactics alone.
Furthermore, multimedia and visuals significantly increase the chances of content being read, shared, and followed. Visuals such as images and videos, infographics, graphs, and charts can help break up text and convey information more quickly and effectively. Audio, animation, and interactive elements also increase user engagement and make the content more memorable.
Social media is where you’ll likely be promoting many of your multimedia assets, so consider what new assets you’ll need to create to benefit from the new opportunities your growing international audiences will bring you.
Bearing that in mind, consider the following when creating new visuals::
- Choose the right visual and multimedia elements that resonate with your target audience.
- Be mindful of colors for your visuals and graphics.
- Ensure that your visuals and multimedia elements are accessible to all users, including those with disabilities. This includes providing captions, audio descriptions for videos, and alternative text for images.
- Optimize your visuals and multimedia elements for smaller screens.
- If you use text on your images, ensure you create a translated version for your global markets.
Optimizing content for search engines
Optimizing your content for search engines is important because it helps improve your visibility and discoverability online. Statistics show that search engines drive more than 93% of web traffic. Search engines like Google use algorithms to rank websites and their pages based on relevance, quality, and user experience.
When it comes to international audiences, optimizing your content for search engines is especially important because they may be using different keywords or phrases to search for the same content in their own language. And if the keywords are not optimized, the content may not appear in search results, which can negatively impact its visibility and engagement.
So, here’s how you can optimize your content for search engines:
- Start by researching keywords and phrases that are commonly used in the target language or region. You can use tools like Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush, or Ahrefs to find popular keywords and phrases relevant to your content.
- Translate your website content and then conduct international keyword research to identify the right ones for your target markets.
- Once you have translated the keywords, include them in your content in a natural and organic way. Make sure to use them in the title, headings, subheadings, body content, and meta tags of your pages.
- As mentioned above, using the local language is also important when creating content. This means writing in the local dialect, using local slang, and including local cultural references.
- Finally, you should make sure that the URL structure of your site is clean and readable. This helps search engines easily understand your content and index it accordingly, making it easier for international audiences to find.
By optimizing your content for search engines, you can ensure that your content reaches a larger, more diverse international audience base.
Ready to engage international audiences with your content?
Making your content appealing to international audiences requires a multifaceted approach. Translating content into multiple languages, adapting it to local culture and context, using visuals and multimedia, and optimizing it for search engines are all important steps in creating content that will connect with a diverse global audience.
By taking these steps, you can ensure that your content is accessible, relevant, and engaging to the target audience, regardless of their language or cultural background. This way, you can reach a wider audience and effectively communicate your message globally.